Connect with us

News

Slain Haitian president to be buried this week

Slain Haitian president to be buried this week
Late Haitian President Jovenel Moïse speaks during a press conference at the National Palace in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Tuesday, October 15, 2019. PHOTO/AP
Monday, July 19, 2021

The Haitian Government last week announced that assassinated President Jovenel Moïse will be buried on July 23.

It will be held in the city of Cap-Haïtien, north of here, where the 53-year-old former head of state was born.

Moïse was gunned down by armed men, believed to be former Colombian army officials on July 7 at his private residence. His wife, Martine, was injured during the shooting and is now recuperating at home, having returned to Haiti from a a hospital in Miami.

Haitian authorities here have detained at least 28 men, including two Haitian-Americans, in connection with the killing. Haitian police have also accused 63-year-old Miami-based Haitian doctor, Christian Emmanuel Sanon, of being a mastermind of the plot and having “political objectives”.

Interim Prime Minister Claude Joseph said 24 police officers attached to Moïse’s security detail were ordered to report for questioning, adding this investigation will run its course.

The Government said that pre-funeral activities will take place on July 21 and that books of condolence are now available at Haitian embassies and consulates for the public to sign.

Continue Reading
Comments

© Copyright 2026 - The Habari Network Inc.