Connect with us

News

Mali Presidential elections 2013: Initial results expected Tuesday

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Cisse, seen as Keita’s strongest challenger, said he had flagged concerns over preparations ahead of the vote and would contest the results if there was no run-off called.

The vote was the first since a coup in March last year led to the occupation of Mali’s north by al-Qaeda linked Islamist insurgents.

Local newspapers lauded the vote on Monday morning, saying the turnout was “exceptional”.

“There were women, old people, blind people. Everyone wanted to vote,” said Mariam Diallo-Drame, a youth leader who had encouraged people to take part in the election.

“This is the first time ever we had a truly democratic election. We have never seen that in Mali…We understood what happens if we don’t fulfill our obligations. People are saying it is now up to the politicians to understand,” she said.

However, the candidates — 26 men and one woman — are known quantities and few expect the kind of radical overhaul of Mali’s political class that many say is necessary.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press

Pages: 1 2

Continue Reading
Comments

© Copyright 2026 - The Habari Network Inc.