Connect with us

Life

Trayvon Martin death: 1 year later – No new “Stand Your Ground laws” enacted

Tuesday, February 26, 2013



Trayvon Martin. PHOTO/Martin Family/AP

(Reuters) – One year after the fatal Florida shooting of unarmed teen Trayvon Martin sparked national debate about gun laws and racial profiling, his parents prepared for a solemn vigil in Manhattan on Tuesday as they continue to crusade for stricter gun laws.

Meanwhile, George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch volunteer who shot Martin during an altercation, remained out of sight, preparing for the possibility of a high-profile murder trial scheduled for June in Florida.

Martin’s parents, Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin, and their attorney, Benjamin Crump, said his death last February 26 in the Orlando suburb of Sanford has altered the debate about Stand Your Ground gun laws.

Florida’s Stand Your Ground law, passed in 2005, allows people to use lethal force in self-defense if they are in fear of serious bodily harm. More than 20 states have since passed similar laws.

“This is the first time in about five years that there has been no new Stand Your Ground laws enacted in any other states in America,” Crump told CNN Tuesday.

“So I say that is a plus for the advocacy for Trayvon Martin,” Crump said. “This time last year nobody knew about this little-known law called Stand Your Ground but now everybody knows about it.”

Crump called it “asinine that you can … shoot and kill an unarmed kid and say Stand Your Ground, and go home and sleep in your bed at night.”

Pages: 1 2

Continue Reading
Comments

© Copyright 2026 - The Habari Network Inc.