Connect with us

News

South Africa’s Ramaphosa suspends Minister for violating COVID-19 lockdown

Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams sent on 2-month leave for COVID-19 lockdown violation.

South Africa's Ramaphosa suspends Minister for violating COVID-19 lockdown
Wednesday, April 8, 2020

South African President Cyril Ramaphosa has sent Communications Minister Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams on a 2-month leave for violating a government-imposed lockdown meant to curb the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19).

This comes after a photo surfaced on Instagram showing Ndabeni-Abrahams being hosted for lunch on Sunday at the home of former deputy Minister of higher education Mduduzi Manana, violating a government ban on social activity until April 16.

The Minister will not receive pay for 1 of the 2 months she will be on forced leave.

Manana posted the pictures on Instagram, infuriating social media users who called on Ramaphosa to take stern action.

“As to allegations that the minister violated the lockdown regulations, the law should take its course,” presidential spokesperson Khusela Diko said in a statment on Wednesday.

Ramaphosa summoned Ndabeni-Abrahams on Tuesday to express his disapproval of her actions.

The South African leader, according to his spokesperson, accepted Ms Ndabeni-Abrahams’ apology for the violation, but was unmoved by the explanation she tendered.

“I would like to convey an apology to the president and South African society at large for breaching lockdown rules. I met with the president yesterday, after a picture of me was circulated on social media showing me at Mduduzi’s home.”

“I regret the incident, and I am deeply sorry for my actions. I hope the president and the public will find it in your hearts to forgive me. I have been put on special leave, and I wish to use this opportunity to express that it is important to observe the lockdown laws, which will restrict the spread of the virus.”

The Minister in the presidency Jackson Mthembu will act in Ndabeni-Abrahams’ position.

South Africa, which has the highest viral incidence on the continent, has so far confirmed 1,749 cases of COVID-19.

Meanwhile, community testing started this week in South Africa’s high-density suburbs on the fringes of its major metropolitan areas.

The Ramaphosa administration has promised to expand the testing, eventually, to every home in every street.

Initially, however, the primary focus was on high-density shanty settlements where there have already been cases of the pandemic virus reported and where the prospects for significant person-to-person spread are very high. Day one of the community testing, using mobile laboratories, produced mixed reactions.

Some communities co-operated but in others, the test teams, in full hazmat gear, were viewed with suspicion, with some who were due to be tested “running away”.

Despite government’s announcements, many residents were not aware of testing taking place in their communities and some said they were afraid of engaging with the health workers for fear of becoming infected by them. Others did not want to be “taken away” if found positive.

Continue Reading
Comments

© Copyright 2026 - The Habari Network Inc.