Connect with us

News

African Union gives ICC Ultimatum – presents a dilemma for the West

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

“The option is open, it’s on the table,” he told reporters.

The African Union bloc, however, has been divided on the issue – with countries like Kenya, Sudan, Ethiopia and Rwanda taking a tough line, but other nations seemingly reluctant to get embroiled in a diplomatic confrontation.

African Union executive council head Nkosazana Dlamini Zuma, a former anti-apartheid activist, acknowledged that African nations should “do more to strengthen the capacity of our national and continental judicial systems” – seen as a concession to several prominent African figures who have defended the court.

Former UN secretary-general Kofi Annan, has said that a pull-out would leave Africa wearing a “badge of shame”.

The summit leaves a question mark over whether Kenyatta may choose to follow the path of Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir, who has refused to stand trial at the ICC for war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide in Sudan’s Darfur conflict and who is now the subject of an arrest warrant.

Following last month’s Islamist militant attack on Nairobi’s Westgate shopping mall, Kenyatta has already demanded he be allowed to appear by video-link so he can deal with national security issues, and this week his lawyers alleged abuse of process and called for a halt in proceedings.

Pages: 1 2 3

Continue Reading
Comments

© Copyright 2026 - The Habari Network Inc.