News
South Africa: Industrial action in mining sector ends, tensions remain
Amplats spokeswoman Mpumi Sithole said management and labor leaders were scheduled to meet on Thursday morning.
Among other pledges, Amplats has said it would start wage talks ahead of the expiry of current deals next year.
Bringing the wage talks forward is seen as a way to head off possible strike action, but is a risky course as the negotiations could also provoke another round of wildcat action by militant labor leaders.
Around 80,000 South African miners or 15 percent of the workforce had been off the job at one point, but all of the major strikes are now over.
AngloGold Ashanti Ltd., the world’s third-largest bullion producer, said on Wednesday its Mponeng mine had resumed work, ending an eight-day stoppage. All of the company’s South African operations are now back up and running.
