Connect with us

News

No Africa leader for Mo Ibrahim Foundation $5m award for 2012

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Mo Ibrahim Foundation announced Monday that it will not award its US$5 million prize that recognizes democratically elected African leaders who excel in office and – critically – leave when they are supposed to.

The prize committee said it reviewed several former leaders but decided that none met the award criteria. The group did not reveal who was considered. Any African leader who left office in the last three years was eligible.

Africa on the whole is making tremendous political and economic progress, however a few countries on the continent are still governed by men who have been in office for decades. And some leaders who have stepped down from power over the past three years had blemished records.

Mo Ibrahim, a Sudanese mobile phone magnate and billionaire, insisted in an interview that he was not disappointed that no winner emerged this year.

“Not at all. This is a prize for exceptional leadership, and we don’t need to go through the motions to just find anybody,” he told reporters by telephone. “We have a wonderful prize committee which comprises some wonderful men and women, and they set really high standards.”

The cash prize has been awarded three times in its six-year history. Former Cape Verde President Pedro Verona Pires won last year (2011). In 2008 Festus Mogae of Botswana won; In 2007 it was Joaquim Chissano of Mozambique. No award was given in 2009 and 2010.

Ibrahim says he believes the award has helped increase conversations about positive leadership in Africa instead of talk about the continent’s murderous or corrupt leaders of the past.

Pages: 1 2

Continue Reading
Comments

© Copyright 2026 - The Habari Network Inc.