News
Nigeria working to restore calm in the north: Christmas bomb suspect arrested
Nigeria troops have arrested a suspect in the Christmas Day bombings that killed at least 44 people, state television reported, as Washington put three Boko Haram leaders on its global terror list.
In the northern State of Kaduna meanwhile, the authorities said late Thursday they would ease a 24-hour curfew imposed following clashes that have left scores dead since the weekend.
The curfew would be eased on Friday and Sunday to allow worshippers to attend prayer services at mosques and churches, officials said.
Suspect Habibu Bama was arrested in Damaturu, the capital of Yobe State, following a shootout with the military joint task force, the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) reported.
Security sources said he had been shot and wounded.
Bama, a suspected member of Islamist group Boko Haram, had been wanted in connection with the deadly Christmas attack on a church in Madalla, near Abuja, that killed at least 44 people.
Nigeria security forces meanwhile restored calm in Kaduna state, after fresh clashes had rocked an area already under curfew following days of violence that have so far killed at least 106 people.

