Connect with us

News

Former UN secretary-general Kofi Annan urges Africa not to exit ICC

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

“But when we hear the debate going on, the leaders are protecting themselves. No one speaks for the victims,” he said.

The meeting follows the 54-member bloc’s accusations that the court singles out Africans for prosecution, pointing to the high-profile trials of former Liberian president Charles Taylor and top leaders of Kenya.

But Annan said this was “not the case”, adding he had been proud that so many African countries had given strong backing to the ICC.

“I am therefore concerned by recent efforts to portray the Court as targeting Africa. I know this is not the case,” said the Ghanaian diplomat.

Four of the cases before the ICC had been referred by African leaders themselves, while the UN Security Council had moved on two others concerning Darfur and Libya, Annan said.

The trial against Kenyan Deputy President William Ruto started in September, and President Uhuru Kenyatta’s case will begin in November.

Both are charged with stoking violence after a disputed 2007 presidential election.

Pages: 1 2 3

Continue Reading
Comments

© Copyright 2026 - The Habari Network Inc.