Connect with us

News

Sudan’s President Omar al-Bashir to step down in 2015

Thursday, March 21, 2013



Sudan’s President Omar al-Bashir. PHOTO/Gregorio Borgia/AP

Sudan’s president said he intends to step down in 2015 after more than 20 years in power.

In an interview published in several Sudanese dailies on Wednesday, Omar al-Bashir said the people of Sudan need “fresh blood and a new impetus to continue their march.” The next presidential election is due in 2015.

Al-Bashir seized power in a 1989 coup that toppled an elected government. He was last elected in 2010, a year before Sudan’s southern region became independent.

The International Criminal Court has charged al-Bashir with genocide and other crimes during the deadly conflict in Sudan’s western Darfur region. Despite an international warrant for his arrest, he has traveled to several friendly nations since he was indicted in open defiance of the court, which has no police force to arrest suspects.

Darfur had been riven by strife since 2003, when rebels took up arms against Al-Bashir’s government, accusing it of discrimination and neglect. The government is accused of retaliating by unleashing Arab militias on civilians, an allegation it denies. The U.N. estimates 300,000 people have died and 2.7 million have been displaced in the conflict.

African Union peacekeepers began patrolling Darfur in 2005. The joint force was the subject of frequent attacks, however, the violence has tapered off.

Al-Bashir had in the past declared his intention to step down but his National Congress Party insisted he continued in office. However, the party said on Wednesday it was considering another candidate. In the interview, al-Bashir said his decision not to run in the next election was “definite, God willing.”

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press

Continue Reading
Comments

© Copyright 2026 - The Habari Network Inc.