Connect with us

Life

Barbados confirms 4 cases of H1N1

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Barbados has confirmed 4 cases of influenza A H1N1 including one death.

A statement from the island-nation’s Ministry of Health said that results from the 10 samples sent to the Trinidad & Tobago-based Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA) last week had confirmed the cases. It said the other six samples were negative for the H1N1 virus.

The Acting Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Elizabeth Ferdinand said Barbados has an adequate supply of Tamiflu which is recommended for persons in high risk groups, and those who need hospitalization.

In addition, the Ministry of Health is expecting a shipment of the seasonal influenza vaccine which contains the H1N1 virus and will be offered to frontline workers in the public sector and persons in high risk groups.

Dr. Ferdinand reiterated that most persons who suffer from influenza will experience only mild illness and will recover in three to five days without the need for medical attention.

In light of the outbreak, the senior health official said that the Ministry of Health would be intensifying its public awareness efforts through various media as a way of sensitizing the public about the do’s and don’ts in relation to Influenza A H1N1.

Dr. Ferdinand is encouraging members of the public to cooperate with public health guidelines as was done during the 2009 Influenza Pandemic.
“Your cooperation and support helped us to effectively respond at that time. The same level of response will help us to manage this current challenge,” she said, adding that the best way to reduce transmission of the virus is by practicing good respiratory hygiene measures.

Pages: 1 2

Continue Reading
Comments

© Copyright 2026 - The Habari Network Inc.