Connect with us

Sport

Tiger Woods pulls out of AT&T National citing injury to left elbow

Thursday, June 20, 2013



Tiger Woods acknowledges the crowd during the Arnold Palmer Invitational golf tournament, Sunday March 24, 2013. PHOTO/Phelan M. Ebenhack

In little more than a month, Tiger Woods went from being tough to beat to having a tough time even playing.

Woods said Wednesday that soreness in his left elbow would keep him from defending his title next week in the AT&T National at Congressional, and that he would not compete again until the British Open next month at Muirfield.

This is the sixth straight year that injury has kept him from either playing a tournament or finishing one.

The culprit this time is a strain in his left elbow. The problem first became apparent during the opening round of the U.S. Open last week at Merion, when he was flexing his left wrist or dangling his arm behind his back after shots out of the thick, punishing rough.

“I was examined after I returned home from the U.S. Open, and the doctors determined I have a left elbow strain,” Woods said on his website. “I have been advised to take a few weeks off, rest and undergo treatment. I’ll be ready to go for the British Open, and I’m looking forward to playing at Muirfield.”

His injury is a blow to the AT&T National, which benefits the Tiger Woods Foundation. This will be the third time since it began in 2007 that Woods has missed the tournament because of injury – knee surgery in 2008, his left Achilles tendon in 2011 and an elbow injury this year.

“Any time you have Tiger Woods in the field, it certainly adds to it a lot,” tournament director Greg McLaughlin said. “But we have a very nice field this year and we look forward to a great AT&T National.”

Pages: 1 2 3

Continue Reading
Comments

© Copyright 2026 - The Habari Network Inc.