News
Mali extends state of emergency for 10 days after attack from al-Qaeda-linked militants
The initial state of emergency was imposed by the Keita administration after al-Qaeda-linked terrorists attacked the Radisson Blu hotel in Bamako in November last year.
Mali extended a state of emergency for 10 days on Wednesday, the council of ministers said, after a spate of attacks by armed groups killed dozens and wounded at least 30 people.
The council of ministers also declared a 3-day period of mourning for the 17 soldiers killed in an attack by suspected Islamists on an army base on Tuesday.
In one incident, suspected Islamists in 6 four-wheel vehicles opened fire on a military patrol vehicle in Mboukari, in the remote northern Timbuktu region of Mali, two military sources told reporters. In a separate attack, in the village of Gatiloumou, in central Mali’s Mopti region, militants attacked and burned down the town hall, both sources said.
Mali originally declared a state of emergency in November and it was extended in April by 3 months.
“Despite the actions of the state, the terrorist threat persists – as is evidenced by the recent attacks against the armed and security forces of Mali,” the council of ministers said in a statement.
The state of emergency allows police in Mali to search homes without a warrant – and may be extended because of the continuing threat of extremist attacks in the West African country.
Source: Agencies
