Connect with us

Sport

Jamaica’s Usain Bolt withdraws from Monaco meet

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Usain Bolt (l) congratulates Yohan Blake after Blake won the men’s 200 meters final at the Jamaican Olympic trials in Kingston July 1, 2012. PHOTO/Ivan Alvarado/Reuters

Usain Bolt has more than Yohan Blake to worry about ahead of the London Olympics. Now he’s got an injury to contend with and likely won’t run again until the games.

Exactly one month before the 100-meter final at the Olympics, Bolt pulled out of the July 20 Monaco Diamond League meet Thursday with a “a slight problem” that occurred during the recent Jamaican Olympic trials, his coach Glen Mills said.

The withdrawal followed the double blow of losing in the 100 and 200 to training partner Blake at the trials, a reality check before the Olympics.

Bolt was scheduled to run the 200 in Monaco in his final tuneup before the games, but will now come to the Olympics following two losses.

Despite the withdrawal, the 25-year-old Bolt insisted he’ll be at the games to retain the 100, 200 and 4×100 relay titles he won in Beijing four years ago in world-record times.

“I am happy to have earned my spot on the Jamaican Olympic team despite the challenge,” Bolt said in a statement. “I will be in London to defend my titles.”

After congratulating Blake with a big hug after the 200 in Kingston on Sunday, Bolt lay flat on his back and had his right hamstring stretched out by a trainer. His loss two days earlier in the 100 came after a poor start.

Pages: 1 2 3

Continue Reading
Comments

© Copyright 2026 - The Habari Network Inc.