News
Haiti shuts down Oxfam operations after sexual misconduct scandal
Authorities in Haiti said the decision to now ban Oxfam GB’s operations in the country were due to a violation of laws.
(Reuters) – Haiti’s government last week on Wednesday said it was withdrawing Oxfam Great Britain’s right to operate in the Caribbean country after allegations of sexual misconduct by the charity’s staff.
In a statement, 3 ministries, including the Planning and External Cooperation Ministry, said they were withdrawing Oxfam Great Britain’s status as a non-governmental organization “for violation of Haitian law and serious violation of the principle of the dignity of the human beings.”
The British aid organization has been rocked by allegations that staff, including a former Haiti country director, used prostitutes during a relief mission after a devastating earthquake hit the island-nation in 2010.
In February, Haiti temporarily revoked Oxfam Great Britain’s right to operate in the country.
The charity was accused of trying to cover up the allegations and also came under criticism for allowing Roland van Hauwermeiren – who as in charge of Oxfam operations – to tender his resignation, rather than dismissing him.
