Sport
Jamaica’s Yohan Blake out for season after hamstring surgery
Yohan Blake in action during his 200m semi-final at the London 2012 Olympic Stadium. PHOTO/Ben Curtis/AP
Jamaica’s double Olympic sprint silver medallist Yohan Blake has been ruled out for the rest of the 2014 season after undergoing a surgery on an injured hamstring, coach Glen Mills said on Tuesday.
Blake sustained the injury in the 100 meters at the Glasgow Grand Prix on July 11.
“Right now he’s on crutches, he had to have an operation a couple of days ago,” Mills told reporters. “The injury was quite severe and the original prognosis was misdiagnosed and he went Germany and when they had a good look, they realized that it was more serious and required surgery, so he will be out for quite a long time.”
Blake, who could not defend his 100m world title in Moscow last year because of a hamstring injury, had opted against racing at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow starting on Wednesday to concentrate on his build-up to the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.
“I am down but just a little. I am still going to fight even harder for everyone who continues to support me,” Blake said in his Facebook message to his fans.
“I feel I owe it to the sport and the fans. Thanks for all the good wishes. It really means a lot,” added the 2011 world 100m champion.
Source: Reuters
