Politics
Cayman Islands: Premier McKeeva Bush released on bail, calls intensify for his resignation
Cayman Islands Premier., McKeeva Bush. PHOTO/File
Premier Mckeeva Bush was released on overnight police bail on Tuesday night more than 12 hours after he was arrested at his home on suspicion of theft, in connection with financial irregularities relating to the alleged misuse of a government credit card.
Police said that Bush 57, who came to power in 2009, will return to the police station for further questioning on Wednesday.
In the meantime, citizens of the Cayman Islands have began calls urging Mr. Bush to resign.
The authorities said that a second person had been detained in connection with the ongoing investigation which involves Premier Bush. The name or identity of the person had not been released.
The Royal Cayman Islands Police Service (RCIPS) said Bush, who had recently returned from London where he had been attending the Joint Ministerial Council, had also been detained on breach of trust, abuse of office and conflict of interest, contrary to S13, S17 and S19 of the Anti-Corruption Law 2008 respectively.
He is also detained in connection with the alleged importation of explosive substances without valid permits on or before February 2012.
Deputy Premier Juliana O’Connor Connolly said the government ministers met in caucus where Bush’s arrest had been discussed. -(CMC)
