News
Uruguay to withdraw from Haiti UN Peacekeepers

Wednesday, October 30, 2013
Uruguay’s president says he plans to remove his country’s nearly 1,000 peacekeeping troops from Haiti.
Jose Mujica said Tuesday he will withdraw the contingent but is not giving a date.
The 9,000-strong UN peacekeeping mission in Haiti was established by the U.N. Security Council in 2004.
The force has been under intense scrutiny for years and is blamed for a cholera outbreak likely introduced by a peacekeeping battalion from Nepal.
Last year, protesters calling for the withdrawal of UN peacekeepers clashed with police in Haiti’s capital. They were angry over the cholera epidemic and the alleged sexual assault of an 18-year-old Haitian man by peacekeepers from Uruguay.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press