News

Sudan: Breakthrough in talks between protesters and the army

Monday, April 29, 2019

AFP | Sudanese protesters Sunday welcomed a breakthrough in talks with army rulers who agreed to form a joint civilian-military council, paving the way for the civilian administration demanded by demonstrators.

The agreement would replace the existing 10-member military council that took power after veteran leader Omar al-Bashir stepped down on April 11 amid massive protests.

“What happened yesterday is a step to have a civilian authority,” said Mohamed Amin, one of thousands of demonstrators who have been camped for weeks outside the army headquarters. “We are happy about the progress in the talks, but we are still waiting for the composition of the council and the civilian government.”

The joint civilian-military council will be the overall ruling body, while a new transitional civilian government is expected to be formed to run the day-to-day affairs of the country, a key demand of protesters.

That civilian government will work towards having the first post-Bashir elections.

The demonstrators said they will pursue their sit-in until a civilian administration is set up.

Protest leader Ahmed al-Rabia confirmed to reporters the decision to form a joint council.

“We are now in consultation about what percentage of the council should be represented by civilians and how much by the military,” said Rabia, who is involved in talks.

On Sunday, protest leaders from the Alliance for Freedom and Change met to discuss the progress of talks with the military council. Later, the joint committee bringing together the military and protest leaders was expected to resume talks.

Activists say the new council could be a 15-member body, with 8 civilians and 7 army generals.

The decision to have a joint council came after hours of talks on Saturday, the first by a joint committee representing the current ruling military leadership and protesters.

Bashir was forced to step down by the army after months of protests against his 3-decade rule. Thousands of demonstrators, braving volleys of tear gas fired by security forces, reached the sprawling military headquarters on April 6, demanding that the army support those opposing Bashir. Five days later, the army toppled Bashir and took power through the transitional military council.

Protest leaders had previously held several rounds of inconclusive talks with the council after Bashir was ousted. The military council has so far insisted that it has assumed power for a 2-year transitional period.

The African Union has called for more time for the army to hand over to civilians.

Comments

Trending

Exit mobile version