News

Sudan: 60 miners believed to be trapped following goldmine collapse

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Latest reports from the Darfur province in Sudan indicates that a goldmine has collapsed and 60 miners are thought to be trapped.

A member of parliament from the area said the mine collapsed earlier this week, and word had only reached the capital Khartoum on Thursday. Witnesses told reporters that rescue efforts had been unsuccessful.

Both the Akhir Lahza daily and the Al-Shorouq TV, both quoted local commissioner Haroon al-Hussein as saying that rescue operations were underway following a mine shaft collapse the day before.

He said 60 miners are believed trapped. That would be an unusually high number because less than a half dozen miners typically work in the traditional mining areas.

Comments

Trending

Exit mobile version