News

Haiti: Protests break out over tax hikes implemented by Jovenel Moïse administration

Friday, September 15, 2017

(Reuters) – Protesters took to the streets in Haiti’s capital Port-au-Prince, angered by government tax hikes that come at a time when foreign aid is declining.

The protest, called by former presidential candidate Jean-Charles Moïse, took many by surprise and represents the biggest outcry against the administration of President Jovenel Moïse since he took office earlier this year.

Protesters took to the streets in separate groups in several districts in the metropolitan area of Port-au-Prince, blocking traffic, and disrupting business.
Several people were arrested, the police said, but there were no reports of any serious injuries.

The country’s legislators last weekend approved an unpopular budget that raises taxes on products including passports.

At the same time, foreign aid to Haiti is slowing. The country suffered a devastating earthquake in 2010 and the worst of hurricane Matthew last year.

“If Jovenel Moïse is intelligent, he should refrain from publishing the budget, otherwise he will have to face a series of street demonstrations that will further complicate the situation,” the opposition’s Jean-Charles Moïse said on local radio.”

Administration officials were not immediately available for comment, but Economy and Finance Minister Jude Alix Patrick Salomon defended the budget over the weekend.
“There are people who are blaming many things on the budget that are not true,” Salomon told reporters shortly after the spending plan was approved. “There are people manipulating the public opinion.”

Comments

Trending

Exit mobile version