News

Barbados: No confidence motion in Freundel Stuart administration defeated

Monday, May 16, 2016

A former member of the main opposition Barbados Labor Party (BLP) early Friday sided with the government to defeat a motion of no confidence in the administration of Prime Minister Freundel Stuart.

Opposition Leader Mia Miottley had earlier last week brought the motion claiming that the Stuart administration was incompetent and ruling by stealth among other allegations.

But when the vote was taken, the government, which enjoyed a two seat majority in the Parliament, also received the backing of the Member of Parliament for Christ Church West, Maria Agard, who had during the debate being critical of both government and opposition legislators.

Agard, who was expelled from the BLP last year, told Parliament that unlike their predecessors, the current crop of political leaders had lost the art of making citizens feel proud to be Barbadian and part of nation building. “In our desire for supremacy, we have a tear-down society and the modus operandi is to destroy our opponents with character assassination and parody and by extension to ascribe only the most evil and diabolical intentions to anyone not sharing our agenda.”

She questioned the rationale for the motion, arguing that the grounds were no different from the accusations made against the then BLP government by the Democratic Labor Party (DLP) when it was in opposition.

“The only thing that we are really arguing about here is – a betrayal of the public trust and the gang-rape of the public purse. I am left to wonder, what is the purpose of this exercise if the real charge is that the extent of your sin is bigger than the extent of mine? That ‘yes, what we did was wrong but what you are doing is more wrong’. Who can really come to these chambers with clean hands and righteous indignation? None,” Agard said.

Tourism Minister Richard Sealy had also dismissed the motion saying that Barbados tourism is regaining top international ranking.

“Expedia, the leading online tour operator, voted Barbados the best Caribbean destination for 2016. Caribbean Journal, one of the more prestigious online publications, also voted Barbados the best destination. Trip advisor had us at third,” he said.

Among the legislators who were not present when the vote was taken on Friday, was former prime minister Owen Arthur, who is mourning the death of his father Frank Arthur, who passed away early last week at age 89.

Meanwhile, the BLP has announced plans to stage a “white” march for justice next Thursday.

Mottley said full details will be announced shortly. -(CMC)

Comments

Trending

Exit mobile version